Topic:   Upgrade from webMethods 7.1.2 to webMethods 8.2
Sep 17, 2012 11:41 6 Replies 4460 Views Satish Kumar
Prev Next
Topic Replies (6)
  1. 1
    idnkx user

Satish Kumar

Hi Team,

We are in wM 7.1.2 and want to migrate to 8.2 directly is it possible? Also please let me know if there are any impacts on web Service migration.

Regards,
    Satish

idnkx user

Raj Kumar

Hi Satish,

You can use a Staging wM 8.x environment(Development) to migrate & test wM 7.1.2 interfaces. The plus point is that under the hood not much significant changes have been applied enroute to wM 8.x. Sometimes the install-over-current approach throws up unwanted issues. The side-by-side is safe and hassle free with full freedom.

My suggestion is to [b]upgrade your webMethods 7.1.2 environment to 7.1.3 and then go to latest webmethods version 8.0 and then to 8.2[/b] SP1 or SP2(WebMethod8.2.2 with IS_8.2_SP2_Core_Fix3 would be the latest now). Since Side by side mitigates risk, and is SAG recommended approach for this type of upgrade. Software AG recommeds the certified upgrade path from 7.1.3 to 8.2.x.

There are lot of new things introduced in [b]Software AG webservice stack in webmethods 8.2.x[/b], you may have to do some changes to existing webservices to incomplaince with the new webservice task.

You won't face major issues with components like IS , Broker , TN , MWS , CAF etc.

->IS packages use the inbuilt JVM for java functionality.

->Broker version isn't a problem at all as wM 8.x version Brokers can also be configured with wM 6.5 SP3 setups.

->The TN has most stuff wrt to 7.1.2 present in wM 8.x present. wM 8.x gives more preference to using TNWeb UI thru MWS rather the TN Console.

->For MWS we have some changes for CAF as CAF projects can also be deployed to Oracle Weblogic , IBM Websphere additionaly. I think you can export BPM packages into wM 8.x as they exist on 7.1.2 IS as packages.(Some retrofitting may be needed).

-> The adapters maintain same versions between wM versions like JDBC 6.5 ,JDE EOne 8.98 have remained same thru wM 6.5 SP3.

Thus when you test some interfaces on Staging , you can right away move ahead to newer DEV ,QA , PROD.

Follow the below links for more detailed approaches:

http://documentation.softwareag.com/webmethods/wmsuites/wmsuite8_ga/Cross_Product/8-x_webMethods_Upgrade_Guide.pdf SAG Upgrade guide.

http://www.slideshare.net/SoftwareAG/upgrading-to-webmethods-82 ]SAG 82 upgrade process

http://idnxchange.com/webmethods-blogs/upgrading-from-wm-65x-to-wm-8x-products-suite.html Blog on overcoming challenges in performing upgrades

Cheers.
    Raj

idnkx user

Satish Kumar

Hi Rajkumar,

Thanks for detailed feedback. The upgrade path that you mentioned from 7.1.2 to 7.1.3 to 8.0 to 8.2 is a cost initiate and there are so many regression testings to be done. Please let me know if any other alternative that suits better.

Regards,
    Satish

idnkx user

Pia

If you are using BPM there is no other alternative, you have to upgrade from 7.1.2 to 7.1.3 to 8.0 to 8.2. But, if you wanna migrate without BPM you can try directly 8.2 from 7.1.2

Thanks

idnkx user

Satish Kumar

Hi Raj/piapavola/All,

Please let me know if there is planning to be considered while developing Webservices(providers) in 7.1.2 and later we are planning to migrate to 8.2. So, please let me know if there are any best practices or precautions to be considered now in 7.1.2.

Regards,
    Satish

idnkx user

Raj Kumar

Hi,

As i told you earlier if you plan to migrate to 8.2 there are lot of new things introduced in Software AG webservice stack in webmethods 8.2.x, you may have to do some changes to existing webservices to incomplaince with the new webservice task. Refer..http://documentation.softwareag.com/webmethods/wmsuites/wmsuite8-2_sp2/readme/WebServicesStack_8-2-SP2_readme.pdf Introduction in the Web Services Stack 8.2 product documentation

After installing webMethods 8.2 verify the Web Services Stack 8.2 installation. For instructions, see
    http://documentation.softwareag.com/webmethods/wmsuites/wmsuite8-2_sp2/readme/WebServicesStack_8-2-SP2_readme.pdf the introduction in the Web Services Stack 8.2 product documentation

The Web Services Stack 8.2 installation is deployed in Tomcat Server 8.2 and therefore contains different directories than Web Services Stack 7.1.2. For information about the installation directories in Web Services Stack 8.2, see the above 8.2 product documentation.

Web Services Stack 8.2 did not overinstall the deployment of Web Services Stack 7.1.2 in TomcatKit 7.1.2 the 7.1.2 deployment continues to exist in the installation directory. Other Software AG products on your machine that use Web Services Stack 7.1.2 are therefore not be adversely affected by the upgrade.
    If you want to re-use Web services you deployed on Tomcat Kit 7.1.2, you can manually copy the Web services to the corresponding deployment location on Tomcat Server 8.2.

Cheers.
    Raj

Leave a Reply
Guest User

Not sure what course is right for you?

Choose the right course for you.
Get the help of our experts and find a course that best suits your needs.

Let`s Connect